Re: browser security?

Hi,
I have installed no package as of yet, but 29 answers my question smiles.
Thanks for the other answer too.
Karen

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Tim Chase wrote:

On 09/07/11 17:01, Karen Lewellen wrote:
 what browsers come included in the latest debian distribution package?

If you've installed the "debtags" package ("apt-get install debtags"), you can use

 debtags search --short "web::browser && use::browsing"

to list all the packages that provide web-browsing software. On my Debian Stable, that brings up 29 packages. There are a couple in that list that aren't really browsers, but that's the fastest way I know to get a pretty thorough list.

 The other question is if anyone can point me to something  of an article
 nature regarding  open-source browsers and security?
 I am finding that companies will know simply block access to anything but
 ie
 or if you are lucky firefox, with the claim that the browsers suggested
 for Ada / section 508 /  w3c type access are a security risk.

Most of the articles I know about compare the big-name browsers (IE, Chrome/Chromium, Safari/Webkit browsers, and Mozilla derivatives including Firefox, Iceweasel, Iceape, Galeon, etc). I don't think I've seen any reviews of security on the more obscure (whether GUI or console) browsers. However because of their rarity, there's a bit of security-by-obscurity since they're such tiny attack targets.

-tim