quick pdftotext question?

Greetings folks,
I am likely not getting the syntax down for this, since there are options for reaching my goal in pdftotext, they get displayed when I run the help command.
Still if someone can share the steps, I would be thrilled.
this pdf file has a users password. I also want to keep the original layout. Where I am likely getting confused is how to convey the pasword, I imagine in some sort of enclosed, something?
what I tried was
pdftotext -upsw <string> -layout filename.pdf > filename.txt
there anyone dash correct?
Thanks for any tips,
Karen