debian vs vinux?

Hi all,
normally I denote like such discussions, but I have a specific reason for asking. I have an IBM thinkpad 560f or so that I am wanting to convert to Linux. it is my dos laptop right now, but I am about to upgrade to thinkpad 600x for that purpose. Everything I read about debian motivates me in that direction, but I am not sure which flavor is best for such a machine. it has a fine external 9 pin port for a synthesizer, so I should? be fine on that front. Still there is all this buzz about vinux so I thought I would get advantages and disadvantages. I admit the discussion on the speakup list about a bug in the source distro for vinux has me wanting to skip this...along with that distro being best for the windows minded smiles.
Thoughts on my goals?
Karen