setting up espeak on slackware

I downloaded portaudio and espeak and installed both. when I type speak
"Hello World!" <cr> I get event not found.  I want to get espeak up and
working so emacspeak-33.0 will find it and use it when emacspeak starts.
The sound system on this machine is alsa.  Will it be possible to clear
this error and get this computer a second voice?