Re: Why Arch Linux?

As a rule, Arch packages always update to the latest version. However, all the PKGBUILD scripts are available from the ABS (arch build system) tree, and you can always setup a local repo to maintain binary packages for whatever version you like. I believe there's even a way to make your local repo override the official repos for any package you have regardless of the version, but I'm not absolutely sure about that. You can, however, hold any package at the version you want to keep for as long as you want.
~Kyle