Re: Mass File Depression Maintaining Directory Structure

After reading "man zip", I am still not able to uncompress a load
of NLS books in the specific way required for the task I am working
on.

I'm not familiar with the NLS zip structure which makes it hard to determine what you are trying to do. The good news is that there's almost positively a straight-forward way to do what you want...I just need to understand what that is ::smile::

I just want to uncompress the directory so it can be accessed
by a DB-player's software.

There are a couple possibilities:

1) an NLS file is a zip-file containing a bunch of files that are in subdirectories within the zip-file.

In this case, you may want to do any of the following:

1a) extract just the directory structure without extracting the files

1b) extract the files into a flat structure without the hierarchy stored in the zip file, or

1c) most likely (based on what I *think* you're describing) there are multiple directories stored in the zip-file and you'd like to extract just one of them. To do this, you can specify which files to extract on the command-line (assuming the zip-file contains a subdirectory structure of "contained_folder/subfolder/" with the things inside that you want):

  unzip source.zip contained_folder/subfolder/*

which will only extract the files given on the command-line, not *all* the files in the zip-file.

2) an NLS file is a zip-file containing a bunch of files that have no hierarchy and you would like to put them in a subdirctory when you uncompress them so that they don't litter your current working-directory with the files.

unzip file01.zip -d /home/riverwind/holder

The file decompressed right enough, but there was no directory.
Instead the actual files were decompressed.

This is what I would expect from this command and it addresses #2 above. Your command says "unzip the contents of file01.zip and put any contained files/directories/hierarchy in /home/riverwind/holder (creating that folder if needed)".

It might help to include a portion of the output of

  unzip -t file01.zip

You can pipe that into a file to copy/paste/attach if you want

  unzip -t file01.zip > file01_contents.txt

That way we can get a clearer understanding of the structure inside the zip-file and craft a better solution.

-tim