To: <Blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 4:41 AM
Subject: Re: debian problem

Tim Chase <blinux.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

and then turn it off in subsequent reboots

  bash$ sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove

For me, disabling it in this way was enough to prevent it from ever
coming back.

However, in case this makes any difference, I am using a
dependency-based boot ordering (i.e., Debian Squeeze/Sid) and I used the
chkconfig command to remove gdm from the boot sequence.