Re: Bookmarking in Ice Weasel

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM, RiverWind <riverwind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Ok, I understand that using ctrl+d is supposed to let me bookmark
> a site, and I understand that ctrl+shft+b allows me to manage
> bookmarks. However, after driving myself nuts, I can not get the
> hang of bookmarking sites in Ice Weasel. I have two primary
> questions here. One, can I bookmark the site while I am visiting
> it?

Yes. That's when to use Ctrl+D.

Two, how do I revisit the site after I've bookmarked it?

Navigate to the bookmark in IceWeasel and activate the link with the
Enter key:  View menu, select Sidebar, and then select Bookmarks. When
the bookmarks sidebar opens, the cursor should be in the search field.
Enter a string to search for or Tab to move your cursor to the first
bookmark. From there you should be able to navigate with the Arrow
keys to the desired bookmark.

Also once you've tabbed into the bookmarks, the context menu
(Shft+F10) has the control to create bookmark folders, but won't
appear unless an existing folder is selected. That can also be done
from the Organize Bookmarks dialog.

When you are browsing and wish to bookmark a page you are visiting,
it's generally useful to select the folder you wish the bookmark to go
in before hitting Ctrl+D, although the dialog that Ctrl+D brings up
has a selector to select the folder to place the bookmark in. So two
ways to choose from there.

> would like to establish categories of bookmarks instead of just
> having a haphazard collection of markers in one location. I could
> surely use and would sincerely appreciate a few pointers.

Here are some links that should give you some ideas and the methodology:

<http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_bookmarks_tutorial.html>

<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Bookmarks>.

<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Keyboard%20shortcuts>; note
particularly, "If you have enabled Emacs-style text editing shortcuts
in GNOME, they will also work in Firefox. When an Emacs text editing
shortcut conflicts with the default shortcuts (as occurs with Ctrl+K),
the Emacs shortcut will take preference if focus is inside a textbox
(which would include the location bar and search bar)."

<http://live.gnome.org/Orca/Firefox>.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Paul