News Group Issues within Pine?

Well, since at least 1997 I am still grabbing binaries from Pine, but now I must pipe raw messages through uudeview - because of the yenc encoding. Anyway, here on Shellworld, since we don't have news, I grab via nntp from Giganews. All seems to go well until either I change news-groups during the same Pine session, or mysteriously while I am grabbing binaries. All of a sudden, I see an error message, "no state found for news group alt.binaries.remixes.mp3, reading as new" Once that happens, all the rest of my .newsrc file is hidden away, and I only at most have that 1 group active. Now that Giganews is up to 700 days binary retention, many binary groups are way too large for Pine to read, or even after you open a larger group, sometimes, says, "problem detected, abort trap, trying to save debug" On Shellworld I can still work on groups through trn but on my local machine trn will not compile in FC9 Sure replacing an older .newsrc file temporarily restores these groups, but obviously I need to read or catchup. However, this no state found problem is becoming worse. Can some1 please suggest why this is happening or a fix. I've tried setting an nntp range in Pine, but 30thousand is as high as it will go, but you only see the last 30000 postings.
Thanks so much in advance
Hart