Ripping Directly to mp3

OK, several weeks ago when I began this question, 1 lister asked for any updates. Well, a gentleman from our LUG in Southern Cal wrote me a script, which is working quite well to accomplish this. Dallas Legan, who seems to have a passion for writing scripts dealing with Lynx, Youtube, ETC, was nice enough to write this just in time for me to record streams of British Election coverage. 1 important item I notice among several tries, the feed stops recording anywhere from 3hours18minutes to 3hours22 minutes, around 116mb. You can enjoy his work by doing a simple google search under dallas legan, first 3 links are quite representative. Here is a transcript
Begin strm2mp3
#!/bin/bash

YOURFIFO="/tmp/${RANDOM}.fifo"  ;
while    [ -e "${YOURFIFO}" ]
do
  YOURFIFO="/tmp/${RANDOM}.fifo"  ;
done  ;

mkfifo "${YOURFIFO}"  ;

#  ( lame --quiet  -q 2 -V 4 "${YOURFIFO}" "${2}" ; rm -f  "${YOURFIFO}" )  &

( sox -q  -t wav  "${YOURFIFO}"   -t wavpcm  -s -  | \
   lame --quiet  -q 2 -V 4 - "${2}" ; rm -f  "${YOURFIFO}" )  &

mplayer -nocache  -ao pcm:fast:file="${YOURFIFO}" -vc null -vo null  "${1}"  ;
End of his script.
I will share any comments or suggestions with him, or you can certainly contact through his web-sites-and-project pages
Thanks for listening
Hart