latest debian bsd-utils package has at least one defective program

The col program is broken. It no longer filters anything so far as I can tell. A script I had working now no longer works after this latest update. I'm using it on typescript files to clean them up for purposes of reporting other bugs or was until this discovery. In any case, when col works properly it's possible to do:
#!/bin/bash
# file: cscript.sh - clean up typescript files for internet upload
col -bx < typescript >cscript.tmp
mv cscript.tmp typescript

and that normally filters all the escape junk out of those files.