Re: basic mysql question

Jude DaShiell wrote:
Does mysql have a way of preventing screen run off?

The "mysql" command processor *should* respect the $PAGER environment variable for most things. However, you can specify it manually at the command-line[1] with

  mysql --pager

though according the the help, $PAGER is used by default if you don't specify it. You can also enable it dynamically at the prompt[2] with

  \P

As for how it's treated with the help, that seems to be a mixed bag from my testing. If I just type "help" at the command prompt, it doesn't appear to use the pager. But it I type "help <topic>" such as "help warnings", it uses the pager for the output. Might be a reportable bug? Or my version might be a bit old[3] and it's more consistent now?

Hope this helps,

-tim

[1]
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-command-options.html#option_mysql_pager

[2]
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-commands.html

[3]
mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.32, for pc-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 5.2 running on Debian.