Re: Linux GUI FAQ/tutorial?

I generally use screen which has acopy function that works
well with vim,Vim has it's own internal copping  system if you
want to copy internally, If you would like to copy using the x
clip board gvim might be better, (this is not a problem I care
about much).

Depending on your build of vim, one of the registers to which you can yank is the system (X) clipboard just like in gvim. If you scan the output of

  :version

you should see "+clipboard" instead of "-clipboard" and perhaps "+xterm_clipboard" as well. Or you can isolate the answer with

  :echo has("clipboard")
  :echo has("xterm_clipboard")

both of which should display "1" instead of "0" if your (non-g)vim was built with clipboard support.

You can use "*" as the selection clipboard, and "+" as the copy-buffer clipboard. So to yank the current line to the copy buffer in X, you'd use

  "+yy

("double-quote, +, why, why")

You can read about them in the help at

  :help x11-selection