Re: analyze a .wav or .mp3 file

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Tim Chase wrote:

I was about to fire off a similar email, but Chris beat me to the punch. If you just want the volume adjustment, you can add "-v" at the end of the command:

 sox my_file.wav -n stat -v

and all it reports is the volume number with no extra information. Can be useful for scripting purposes too.

My suggestion also.

One thing to keep in mind - at least the versions I've used send this number to stderr instead of stdout. No idea why, but if you want to use it in a script, you need to keep this in mind, assuming it hasn't changed.

Geoff.