Re: analyze a .wav or .mp3 file

I just tried it and it will tell you if a .wav file is silent
but it didn't work on a mp3 so I was a bit mistaken. I think the
sox man page says it can handle mp3's if you have certain
libraries. It definitely worked on a 10-second sample of
stereophonic silence. Actually, it just has 0's for the
maximum, minimum and average levels so you might pipe that
through another decision to get a silence detector.

	Mplayer will convert mp3's to wav files.

Martin