Re: Using orca / brltty with Freedom scientific PacMate

Hi,

I dont know if they connect via usb, serial or whatever

There could be two things:

1. brltty is not talking to the display
Do you see any text on the display? i.e. brltty 3.11-dev? or
"not in screen mode"?

if not, then in a gnome-terminal (alt+f2 then type gnome-terminal and
press enter)
without the quotes
type: "sudo su" and type in your password
Then type: "brltty -b fs"
did anything show up on the braille display?

2. brltty is talking to the display, but orca is not aware.

You can see the text from brltty, but orca is not talking to the
display.
if so you need to go to orca preferences and
enable braille output.
orca key (insert) + space

you might also need to edit /etc/default/brltty to automatically start
brltty when the computer starts.
Hope this helps.

-Jon