Re: data recovery from a fedora 5 system

for several years i've been running a fedora core 5 system that seriously crashed the other day.
it was caused by a faulty power supply.

This part is fixed now, but now I don't know to recover data from the harddrive.

If the power-supply was the only thing that died, replacing it should be sufficient and the rest of the system should just come back up. You might have to run a fsck on the drive when it boots, but it should be fine. I've had this happen to me uneventfully.

If for some reason the hard-drive crashed, you have deeper problems. The first thing to do would be to put it in another machine and image it using the "dd" command. Assuming this defunct hard-drive is /dev/sdb you can use

  dd if=/dev/sdb of=image.dsk

Alternatively, you can copy the drive image remotely from another machine by booting a CD/flash drive on your old machine and then from your new/good machine use:

  scp brian@oldmachine:/dev/sdb image.dsk

If you *can* image the disk, you've got a chance of rescuing your files. However, if you can't even get a disk image, you may be out of luck and have to use a recent backup or send the drive to a drive-salvage company to get them to extract the content for a large price-tag.

With that drive image, you can then try to mount that file on a loopback device as read-only to salvage your files. If that fails, you might try to use tools like "ddrescue" or "foremost". Kyle Rankin authored a good Linux Journal article on using ddrescue.

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10360

If that doesn't work you can try

  foremost -t all -i image.dsk

to pull all the files that foremost knows how to find (it only recognizes certain file-types). Both are available in my standard Debian & Ubuntu repositories.

Hope this helps,

-tim