Re: Running Linux under windows?

Well, considering the age of the 2.2 kernel and the many security problems that have been fixed, I wouldn't install zipspeak again, but it might work. I know it requires umsdos which is apparently no longer supported in the kernel and it caused at least one drive to crash due to file corruption, but take your chances. The version of Speakup is very old also. I don't think it comes with development tools because of the small size. I think it requires a FAT filesystem and probably wouldn't run under NTFS or XP. For me, it required booting into plain DOS before it would start. I think XP would block it because the kernel takes over the running OS. If you really want to run Linux under Windows, why not just download and burn a live CD like grml? That gives you all the development tools and a much newer and nicer Speakup environment. It also supports software speech which zipspeak didn't. An announcement was posted on the Speakup list that zipspeak would no longer be maintained because of the old kernel. I thought about trying my luck but I honestly don't see any point. If you're in the US, I have an old grml CD I could send you free matter, but you're better to burn your own.

Hart Larry wrote:
Well, thanks so far for your replies-and-comments. Back many years ago when I installed zipspeak, I was able to just alt-tab in windows. At the time I did not have alot of linux support, so did not know what I would have needed for speech? Some times as I alt-tabbed Jaws would say "apache" So would zipspeak be way too old to install on a more modern windows machine? Thanks in advance
Hart