Fw: A problem installing Debian.

Sorry if you get this twice, but I didn't see it return, so I thought I'd try again.
----- Original Message -----
From: Rick
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:50 AM
Subject: A problem installing Debian.

Hi list.
I cant install Debian.
I can choose language, and keyboard, but when it says detecting hardware it just sets there with a blue screen.
I suspect it's not finding the CD-rom drive.
I had the same problem installing Xubuntu, but after trying several times Xubuntu recognized the CD-rom.
I don't know why.
This is an older machine.
It's a premio I think my wife said, but couldn't find the model.
It has 96 mb of ram and a 6 gb hard drive.
Is there a way I can get Debian to recognize the CD-rom? Also is there a way I can install debian with software speech, if so please tell me how.
Thanks in advance for any help.