Re: OT: Alternative to Fdisk

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 3:46 AM, Christian <christian08@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been using an old MS-DOS diskette in order to be able to use fdisk to set a specific partition active on a harddrive. Any other alternative that will do the same and that can be run from an MS-DOS diskette?

Ranish Partition Manager works very well for me on a system that runs
both Linux and WinXP Pro. <http://www.ranish.com/part/>. Far more
capability than with Microsoft fdisk. I use the screen character-based
GUI but it can be operated from the command line as well.

I presume FreeDOS and OpenDOS have fdisk or equivalent command-line
utilities. <http://wiki.fdos.org/Main/HomePage>,
<http://www.deltasoft.com/opendos.htm>

There's an updated Microsoft fdisk here for partitions larger than 64
gigabytes. <http://download.microsoft.com/download/Win98/Update/8266R/W98/EN-US/263044USA8.EXE>.
I haven't used it so proceed cautiously. There are versions for human
languages other than English as well.

If booting from a CD instead is an option for you, there are many
rescue live CDs and the task could be performed from your flavor of
Linux booted from a CD rather than the hard drive.  Or FreeDOS, for
that matter, can be booted from a CD. One of the more popular rescue
CDs is the Ultimate Boot CD. <http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/>.

The major advantage of using a bootable CD is that you can fit more
utilities on one than on a floppy disk.

Best regards,

Paul

--