Re: Getting started with Linux

krishnakant Mane wrote:
I use only ubuntu for my daily work and I am a busy IT consultent so I
can't sacrify work at the cost of non functional free software.
So the point is that since ubuntu 8.04 in particular I find no reason
i should tell people to still use windows.  I find no reason why
people should not migrate to the world of technology freedom with
linux.

While a commendable goal, the graphical Linux desktop still has a ways to go before I am comfortable enough to switch to it on a full-time basis. Radical software mind-sets aside, I have found Window-Eyes on top of a nicely tuned XP system to be considerably more responsive than Gnome and Orca. I'll admit that sound card/speech synthesizer preferences would likely need adjusting, but the basic computer user should not have to tweak these settings just to have responsive speech.

Additionally, we have access to the more common tools, E.G. web browser, word processor, E-mail, and so on with both platforms; although I have yet to find a commercial-grade multitracking editor that supports ASIO, VST effects, and is accessible inside GNOME. Until this last fact changes, switching to Gnome full-time would limit me a great deal in terms of how I want to use my computer for both work and leisure.

I am not a slave to my operating system or assistive tech, and neither will I deny the obvious fact that Linux accessibility is superior in many respects to that of Windows. Gnome and orca have really come a long way over the past few years, and I sincerely hope work will continue to improve application accessibility where possible. For now, I love the philosophy behind GNU/Linux, but the presently accessible applications (or lack thereof) in the graphical environment leave me no choice but to stick with Windows for most of my work. I am very glad that we have compelling choices on all major platforms, and competition between them all can only benefit everybody involved. Perhaps one day in the not so distant future, even I may have what I need to switch to Linux permanently; with open-source software, anything is possible.

Regards,
Steve