Re: Getting started with Linux

Henry Yen wrote:
Graphical environments running from a Live CD will be very very sensitive
to the amount of RAM in the system.  Live CD's will run quite a bit faster
if you give them a healthy dollop of swap space.  That said, the sheer
amount of power and features in a modern Linux Live CD over an older
(almost ten years old!) system such as Windows 98 require a larger amount
of RAM.  Live CD's tend to throw in everything including the kitchen sink.

Hi,

Your point is well taken. On a faster machine with 1 GB of RAM, Gnome runs significantly faster. I am also running it from a hard disk install, having given up on the live CD. I intended to install Debian on that machine with Gnome anyway. I found the performance to be much better than XP. For command line only cases, live CDs work fine, but I agree that my system is far from ideal for a live CD target, thus I'm still running Win98 here. I intend on upgrading one of these days, once I get virtual machines set up and the Linux system is tuned the way I want.

On the other hand, the same live CD which ran fast on my low memory system was even slower to boot than Ubuntu on a faster system with more memory. Specifically, grml 1.1RC1 took about 30 minutes to boot (I mean from starting the CD to an actual command prompt) on a Pentium D processor with 2 GB of RAM and software speech. There was no X environment or anything graphical. The only thing that would take memory is ESpeak, which even on my low memory system runs fast. I would be interested in an explanation of why an apparently superior system would take such an extremely long time to boot when my old and slow system takes about 1/3 the time. Both are standard desktop systems. The faster machine has two cores and I don't remember the exact processor speed.