Re: Electronic Books about PHP and mysql

anyone know a source for electronic books about mysql and php?

What level are you starting at? Beginner programmer? Experienced application developer but new to web or database coding? There are a lot of good resources for free on the web, but it would help to know where you're coming from. Particularly the answers to the following:

- do you have *any* programming experience? (shell scripting, a rusty college Pascal class, or whatever)

- do you have any HTML experience?

- do you have any SQL/database experience?

- do you have an account/server you can use to deploy sample code on? This can be as simple as a private home Linux box (which you likely have since you're on this mailing list), but you'd have to install Apache, PHP/mod_php, and MySQL if you haven't already. If you want to go a step easier, you can install SQLite instead of PHP which just uses a file to store your data, without the need for a SQL serving daemon process running in the background. SQLite doesn't scale as well to high traffic as MySQL or PostgreSQL do, but for a learning experiment, it's a lot easier to get set up and running.

With answers to such questions, it's easier to direct you to an appropriate resource -- I wouldn't want to point you to something like "enterprise scaling with PHP & MySQL" if you've never coded before; just as I wouldn't want to direct you to "how to program with PHP & MySQL for morons" if you've developed your own sites and just need to translate those skills to PHP+MySQL.

Given that your .signature shows you to be a systems-engineer, I suspect you're somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

-tim