Re: Questions about Fedora

Asuka Langley writes:
> Hello
>
> My blind friend is started to use Fedora, and he have some questions
> regarding the options, and some settings. I would like to ask you about

Great. Hopefully he's on Fedora-9. If not, consider upgrading to
Fedora-9.

> these, about any solutions regarding his problems. So here are the problems:
>
> - Orca doesn't speak up gparted
> - The services is the same, no speak up with orca. Is there a command line
> tool for it? To turn off iptables and so on? (The firewall management is the
> same, no speak up).

Correct. Most of the GUI tools have been in Fedora for a long time and
do not support Orca, because they are an older GNOME. Fortunately, you
can do all these tasks from a GNOME Terminal, or from a native console
login (Ctrl+Alt+F1 for instance).

You can have native screen reading in a console using Speakup. Speakup
and Orca can both be available, one for the console, the second for the
GUI. You should know about:

http://SpeakupModified.Org

To answer your specific concerns,

You have parted available to run from terminal or console.

All services can be controlled using the 'service' and 'chkconfig'
commands, including start/stop/restart iptables, etc. To know what
services are installed and configured, do:

chkconfig --list |more

hth

Janina

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;	sip:janina@xxxxxxxx