Re: What Software Speech-enabled Linux Distributions Work Today?

Martin McCormick wrote:
	So, I am ideally looking for a non-orphaned Debian
distribution that uses a non-commercial speech engine that
works.

Hi,

I'm not trying to insult you or anything, but to me, grml seems like the obvious answer. I suppose you could wait for Lenny which will hopefully have Speakup support in the installer and kernel, but for now I really think grml might be worth trying to fix. I didn't have the spelling problem with software speech but my computer is somewhat old and I have a basic sound card. Specifically, I'm on a desktop with 256 MB of RAM, a 1.7 GHZ processor and a Sound Blaster Live! sound card. I played with grml 1.1rc1 and it worked fine for me. I can't stand software speech for long periods of time so I primarily use my DEC-Talk Express, but when I used the included software speech I had no problem, both at the command line and from the Orca setup.

I haven't used any other versions of grml besides 1.1rc1, but if the spelling problem is still there in the final 1.1 or whatever version you tried, I would report it as a bug. The maintainer seems interested and responsive to accessibility problems. He says that 1.1 includes a newer git Speakup while 1.1rc1 didn't, so maybe try the older version. I have the CD I burned if you want it. Again, you could always wait for Lenny or try building your own kernel. I built Debian kernel packages with Speakup built-in so maybe they would work, but it sounds like your problem is in the speech engine itself, not Speakup. I would definitely report the issues you're having to Mika, the maintainer. His email is mika@xxxxxxxx or you can go to the web site. http://grml.org/ I personally wouldn't recommend grml for a hard disk installation because grml2hd has accessibility issues, but other than that, it's a fine distro, especially as a live CD.

Probably none of this is of help to you, but I hope it does some good or gives you an idea. I don't claim to be any kind of Linux expert, so forgive me if I'm talking out of my hat. You're far more experienced than I.