Re: Can I run Ubuntu in a changeroot jail?

John J. Boyer wrote:
I am using Redhat Enterprise Linux, but I occasionally get questions about Ubuntu from people who want to use my liblouis and liblouisxml braille transcription software. I don't want to set up the machine for dual-boot. So I am wondering if I could run Ubuntu in a changeroot jail or something similar for occasional testing.

Hi,

I can't comment on Ubuntu, but you can run Debian this way. You need to download the debbootstrap package which will download the rest of what you'll need. Also, you can use chroot to do this but I would suggest looking at the schroot package instead. It looks more flexible but I haven't tried it yet. Now for some links:

http://linuxgazette.net/150/ read the article "Virtualizing Without Virtualizing" which describes the basic process with schroot and debootstrap.

Replace the below links with your favorite Debian mirror, I use this because it's fast and works well.

ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/

Go ahead and get the latest .deb package. Instructions for extraction follow. If there is a .tar.gz package, you can get that if you want.

ftp://mirrors.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/schroot/

Get the *orig.tar.gz package and compile. I've never looked at it so I can't help you there.

To set up debootstrap, you'll need the ar(1) program which should be installed on your system. Just do:

ar x file.deb

You'll get two files, data.tgz and control.tgz. You can delete control.tgz or control.tar.gz. Extract the data archive as you normally would. From there, you can read the docs and you should be able to figure it out. Basically you tell debootstrap what mirror you want and it should get and set up the base packages for you. If it doesn't, ask and I'll look into this further. Also, I just realized that schroot might be specific to Debian in which case you'll need chroot instead, but I don't think so. I read another article on this specifically designed for Red Hat which I can find if you need more help.