Re: linux - computer worrenty questions

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Tony Baechler wrote:

Daniel Dalton wrote:
So if I install linux to it (dual boot with windows) will this void my worrenty?

Yes, probably unless your warranty specifically says otherwise.

OK, I'll contact the shop about it then...

You could look up the model number on the HP site.

I'll look if the shop won't tell me...

There is another option. Remove the original drives and replace them. If you have some other hardware problem, put the original drives back in before you get it repaired. You could also make full image backups of the original hard disks and restore them if necessary. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much

Well, wouldn't they be able to tell that I opened up the box?
And that may also void the worrenty?

So if I used different hard disks there would be no way of them telling what I did?

about the warranty because new computers are so cheap nowadays, at least in the US. If you're really paranoid, I would just buy a new hard drive and put

Yes

I'm not trying to be the list police here but I don't think your HP warranty really fits the subject of Linux since that's between you, HP and the shop who sold the machine. On the other hand, HP sells Linux servers so you would

Sure, but I thought it was related since I was wondering if installing a version of "linux" would void most worrenties... OK, I take your point and I'll ring the shop first and then try HP if I don't have any luck...

Thanks for your reply,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/