gigabit network

I built myself a new computer and it had a gigabit ethernet card built into the mobo. The network in my house had all 100 megabit hardware. But it bothered me that I had this 1 Gb NIC and it wasn't being utilized fully. So I went out and bought a gigabit switch and a gigabit NIC for my file server.

The problem is that file transfers aren't as fast as I think they should be. According to sftp, I get transfer rates of 1.5 megabyte per second. One gigabit is 125 megabytes. I know there's overhead but, holy cow... Shouldn't I be getting transfer rates around 50 to 100 Mb per second?

Maybe it's the cables. I had somebody read what it says on the cable from my file server to the switch and it says it's cat 5. Do I need cat 5e or cat 6?

--
John Heim
jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx / 608-263-4189