Re: dual booting - accessible partition resizers and some other questions

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Willem van der Walt wrote:

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Daniel Dalton wrote:
Is it just resizing the windows partition, adding a swap partition (in my case
2 gb) and adding a partition for linux?
Does anything have to be done for grub?
Or am I missing something?
Yes, but a good installer would allow you to create the swap and linux
partitions during the install.
Resize your windows partition using a program called ntfsresize from
linux.
You boot with whatever talking Linux you have like the blind eye linux by
I think John Heim, or oralux or Ubuntu Feisti.
There is a staticly linked ntfsresize program somewhere out there, google
for it.
Put that on a memory stick or floppy, once booted into lets say speakup
from a CD,
mount the stick or floppy, read the manual for ntfsresize and away you go.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
So I could do that from my ubuntu 7.04 livecd?

Do I need to run a disk defrag or something?
yes, to make sure you have your blank space at the end of the win
partition.

So that is done before or after the resizing?
And do I run defrag in linux or windows?
If its in linux, what tool can do this?

Once resizing is done then how do I tell linux to install to its own new
partition and make a swap and leave windows alone?
Run the linux installer.  I have never worked with a Linux installer that
distroys things without asking you.
What most does, is to tell you about the empty space on the disk and then
suggest that it will install itself there.

Good!
So do I select manually do the partitions?
Or automatically handle them?
(in the installer)

During the install, grub is also installed and most installers will ask
you if you want to have your windos as a boot option.
These days the installer does most things for you.

good.

I know this is a hard question to answer... :-)
Its up to you, but Ubuntu is easier for accessibility.

Is its repo as big as debian's?

You might afterwards want to change your /boot/grub/grub.lst file to
change the timeout setting, but after the install you would normally get a
grub menu from where you can press enter for linux and down-arrow then
enter for Windows.

Good. Do you mean menu.lst?
Or is that for something else?

The timeout is normally very short before the machine starts booting into
Linux, so that is likely going to be your first boot after install.

Good.

HTH, Willem

Thanks for all this great info! I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/