Re: alsaplayer and mplayer

Hi,

It's possible that mplayer is defaulting to oss. I might have the wrong syntax here, but according to the manual, the way to use alsa would be:

mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0,0 <audiofile>

The example given in the manual is actually

mplayer -ao alsa:noblock:device=hw=0.3 <audiofile>

but I'm not sure if the noblock option is needed or desired.

The device hw:x,y is your hardware card number x, device number y. If you have 1 soundcard with 1 output device then it will be 0,0. If you want to use your second card, first device, it will be 1,0.

If this works for you, you might want to put it in your .mplayer/config file. Just put whatever follows the "mplayer -" (i.e.

ao alsa:device=hw=0,0

Note that it may well default to 0,0 so using "mplayer -ao alsa" may be sufficient.

Good luck,
Geoff.