Re: Do any scripts run all the time in debian?

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Geoff Shang wrote:

Hi,

Hi Geoff,

Sounds like cron is what you need. Look at the cron(8), crontab(1) and crontab(5) man pages.

I think I only have man crontab.
So is that what I should read?

If you want to use a personal crontab, you should set the EDITOR environment variable with the path to your preferred text editor so it will lload it up when you run crontab. Either run

export EDITOR=emacs

I did that thanks.

or whatever your prefered editor is, before running crontab, or put the command in your .bash_profile:

The export one? ok.

Also do you have a sample crontab file?
Am I just meant to put calls to my scripts in it?
I looked at the man crontab page, but I am not sure about sintax.

Thanks,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/