Re: SV: Linux without sighted help

Well, since some answer is better than none, I'll say to look at Slackware. I haven't used it since about 2000 but they said that they were committed to the blind and would always provide a standard kernel with Speakup enabled. If that's still true or not I don't know. Anoter option is Gentoo which had Speakup built into the liveCD kernel. Since you use the same kernel from the live CD to do the install, that should work, but that's as of early 2005. There's Debian but the standard distro doesn't come with Speakup enabled kernels. You can get them from a Debian developer but I don't know if they get security updates. If you don't mind building custom kernels, Debian is probably best because I think the first CD comes with Speakup. I also use a DEC-Talk Express and Doubletalk LT.

Karen Lewellen wrote:
So I ask again. If one is using a dec-talk express, and wants a fully talking Linux distribution, who has maintained the best support for this synthesizer? I am using an original dec-talk express, not a USB model.