Re: Blogging software

Hi all,

Apparently I was unclear on a few things. I have access to a Debian server already. I've set up Apache and php4. I've installed many CMSs before but had problems with them, either because of lack of accessibility or they were too complicated to figure out. I have domain names coming out my ears. I have no interest in paying a web host because I already have the server. I don't have a local Linux machine or local web server. I guess it sounds like I'm looking for a lot but really I'm not. I just want a basic blog engine that lets me easily write posts without a bunch of maintenance and configuration. I didn't mind WordPress but it looked hard to configure and seems to have security issues.

If there is no accessible vlog engine that runs under Linux which does what I want, I would like to know what third party site to use. My preference would be to use the server that's already available. I'm not going to pay anything because I don't see any point. I don't really want to deal with tons of plugins and themes. I just want to either login with ssh, write my entry and have it do the work or login to the web interface and be put directly on an edit page. I don't need lots of other things for now.

I'm well aware of how hard it is to move from one CMS to another which is why I'm not settled on one. I don't really want to find out later that I'm limited in what I can do, but if that's the price of simplicity, I guess I can live with it. Again, podcasts are something way down the road but not a major requirement. My main reason for wanting standards-compliant feeds is to avoid parse errors with feed readers. A built-in search engine and "about the blog" boilerplate would be nice bonuses but aren't necessary. I like the idea of an offline blog editor or being able to email an entry. Since I can login with ssh, limiting email to localhost only would be fine.

Again, is this too much to ask? Am I missing something obvious? I've spent several years thinking about what my blog is and isn't so maybe that's why I seem picky, but like I said, I don't need much. I really don't want to babysit my blog software, I just want to write when I feel like writing. I hope this gives a better idea of what I'm after and sorry for the apparent confusion.