Re: Linux without sighted help

This is misleading at best. cygwin is not a Linux emulator. It will not run Linux executables and there are many programs that will not compile even though they run fine on a real Linux system. The Linux kernel comes to mind, you can't use a native Linux kernel under Cygwin. It simulates functions found in *nix-like operating systems through a dll but it is not true to say that it is an emulator. This is not to say that it doesn't work as I use lynx under Cygwin often, but if you really want the full Linux experience, Cygwin is nowhere close.

Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
There is a Linux emulator you can run under Windows. I guess there are several but the one I'm familiar with is cygwin (www.cygwin.com). If you have a couple GB of free disk space you can install everything; it provides a pretty good system - slower than real Linux but usable.