Re: Question about installing bootloader

Hi all,

Which bootloader is better, grub or lilo? I never got grub to work when I tried it so I just stuck with lilo. I'm running Debian Etch. When I originally set the machine up, it was running Woody, then Sarge and now Etch. I don't really need Speakup support and I'm using the stock Debian 2.6.18-5-686 kernel. It seems that lilo is being phased out. It hasn't really been updated since Sarge from what I can tell. The machine is a dedicated Linux server running Apache and Qmail. There are no other operating systems on it and stability is critical as it's in a corporate environment. All access is done with ssh. Should I look into changing to grub or leave well enough alone? Also, do any stock Debian kernels come with Speakup built in? Nothing in the package descriptions say anything about Speakup. Sarge had a 2.4.x Speakup kernel but it never got security updates.

Janina Sajka wrote:
Christian writes:
Hi all,
I want to change the location of the Grub bootloader from my primary harddrive to my secondary where i have linux installed. How do I do that?

The command you want is grub-install. Check its help for the options.
It's quite straight forward.