Re: Getting started

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Daniel Dalton wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Mike Reiser wrote:
lay two sounds at the same time without some hacking but this should get

Oh. Is this a gnome or ubuntu issue? Your saying ubuntu uses os?
And in a console can you run mplayer and have espeak talking for example?
I can on my debian box. Haven't tested in gnome but will report back when I do.

This is what I can do:
-Play some music in gnome
-Listen to orca at the same time
-Switch to console one leaving gnome music playing and listen to speakup
-Start music with mplayer and here both songs playing.
-With all this music I can switch back to x and listen to orca
-I can also use speakup in a console with all this music playing too.

It is a bit hard to see if both screenreaders can work at once. But it wouldn't suprise me if they didn't.

Things I can't do:
-When using an os media player like mpg123 I can't use speakup
-Can't make espeak say something like with the command "espeak "hello world"" while speakup is talking...
Same for flite.

I guess alsa is fine and the only problems are with os.

BTW Is it possible to get espeak to use alsa with speechd-up? I think someone answered this for me a while ago I will search through my messages.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx