To: "Linux for blind general discussion" <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: securety

 arnos-iptables-firewall is accessible and still under active support. you
 can get it with apt-get install arnos-iptables-firewall.  It's pretty easy
 to set up too.  It needs to know what you use in terms of an ethernet port
 to connect to the internet usually that's eth0 and you protect your web
 interface with ppp+ keyed in space separated when asked.  Unless you have
 very good reasons to open ports you're asked about after that leave the
 defaults in place. The area where I live is under active hacker attack and
 my computer was victimized more than once (actually found root kits on it
 more than once).  But then again some neighborhoods are hotter for hackers
 than others when they have other inviting targets in them.  I had to
 upgrade my dsl modem to a westel 327w and got help from another programmer
 who came over and set it up and he ran my computer against
 http://www.grc.com and the shields up link and found the computer was
 truely stealthed which means its profile is too low for hackers to locate.
 Each of us will have a different security experience to report over time
 though.