Re: fetchmail

As root do the command: chmod 600 /home/daniel/fetchmailrc once then try running fetchmail again.

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Daniel Dalton wrote:

Hi Geoff,

On 25/11/2007 7:04 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:
 Daniel Dalton wrote:

>  Do I just need exim for fetchmail?

 You will need some form of mail transport agent, yes.  Exim should do just
 fine.  It's what I use.

>  When I run
>  dpkg-reconfigure exim
>  I get an error about unknown file type.

 If you want help with error messages, you will need to be specific about
 what the message is otherwise no-one will be able to help you.  Also,
 googling error messages is often a useful thing to do.

Ok I get:
"db_upgrade: /var/spool/exim/db/etry.lockfile: unrecognized file type"
And I also get
"db_upgrade: DB->upgrade: /var/spool/exim/db/retry.lockfile: invalid argument."

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
I ran it as root.

>  And if I type "fetchmail"
>  I get:
> /home/daniel/fetchmailrc must have no more than -rwx---x---(0710) > permissions.

 This error message means that fetchmail considers your personal Email
 settings to be in a file which is not secure enough.

>  Any ideas on what I should do?

 Read the chmod man page for more info about file permissions.  Basically
 it is saying that only you as the owner should be able to read the file.
 I could just simply give you the command but it's probably more useful to
 you to learn how to do it yourself.  You probably want it to be readable
 and writeable by the owner (i.e. you) and nothing else.

Ok I will. Could you please just tell me the command this time? I was hoping to get email set up on my box then I was going to read lots and lots on lynx, alpine emacs BRLTTY, speakup etc.

>  My .fetchmail is like the one I will paste below:
>  poll pop.gmail.com
>  proto pop3
>  username daniel.dalton47@xxxxxxxxx
>  password mypassword

 Didn't you say you need SSL for this?

I do yes. Do you know what I should add to tell it I am using ssl?

 Also, you might want to include a daemon line in your .fetchmailrc file to
 make fetchmail keep on checking your mail.  For example:

 set daemon 180

 would have it check mail every 3 minutes.

Ok I'll do that. Thanks.

 This daemon line shouldn't be in a poll definition.

What do you mean? Just put that line at the top of the file?

And will I have to do something like this to sendmail so I can send mail?

Thanks for all the help.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/