Re: lynx

second argument turns this feature on from the command line:

lynx -show_cursor -number_fields

I use these features frequently enough that it's helpful to have them in Lynx config file:

  SHOW_CURSOR: TRUE
  DEFAULT_KEYPAD_MODE: LINKS_AND_FIELDS_ARE_NUMBERED

(I like to have both numbered, but if you just want one or the other, you can select your preferred variant).

I also like to use vi-keys, which can choke on text-entry fields, so I have the following two lines:

  VI_KEYS_ALWAYS_ON: TRUE
  TEXTFIELDS_NEED_ACTIVATION: TRUE

That way, I can skim over all fields with my h/j/k/l keys, and then when I get to the field I want, I use <enter> to activate the field. Otherwise, I constantly end up with a string of "j" or "k" characters in my text-entry fields.

I tend to fly in advanced mode (rather than novice mode) using

 DEFAULT_USER_MODE: ADVANCED

and it's helpful to know that if you're editing a multi-line textbox, you can spawn an external editor. On my Debian installation, that's /usr/bin/sensible-editor which happens to be pointed at vim, but you can customize that.

The lines from my lynxrc are in this thread where they were discussed previously:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/blinux-list/2005-May/msg00046.html

Because the Lynx config-parser is a bit borked, and reads the /etc/lynx.cfg differently from the ~/.lynxrc, I tend to create a .lynx.cfg file with the settings I want and then alias "lynx" to "lynx -cfg=~/.lynx.cfg" so it pulls in the settings a .lynxrc doesn't respect.

Hope this helps,

-tim