Re: want to learn Linux

----- Original Message ----- >> I am really getting tired of Windows but know nothing about setting up Linux.

Well keep win around until you learn linux. You will still need it!

And at the time do not have a lot of money to spend on external synthesizer.

Maybe software speech with speakup? (Using the espeak synth I guess)

Also this might help. I think you should buy a cheap machine perhaps off ebay to test linux out on. That way you can get help during installation and when problems occur you have your win box around. And that way you can get help when things don't work.
(You will have problems!) Trust me on that one.

All the points you made above are very good.
1. At the moment, gnome & orca aren't quite at the level of Windows & jaws. Not that orca isn't great. It's amazing what the developers have done already. But if you go in expecting to get for free what Freedom Scientific charges $1000 for, you are going to be disappointed.

2. I totally agree with your suggestion of finding a cheap machine. Old computers capable of running linux in character mode are a glut. In most cities, you have to pay to dispose of an old computer and you'd actually be doing someone a favor by taking it off their hands.

3. Be prepared for a learning curve. If you've been using Windows all of your life, you're going to have a lot to learn *and* a lot to get used to in linux. I would hesitate to suggest that someone learn linux just for the fun of it. For some people it would be fun. Most not. However, I really strongly believe that if you're blind and if you make your living as a computer nerd, *the* best thing you can do for your career is learn linux.