Re: software speech and speakup

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Dalton" <daniel.dalton47@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Linux for blind general discussion" <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:57 AM
Subject: Re: software speech and speakup

On 14/11/2007 2:08 AM, John Heim wrote:

I don't know anything about festival. I have never used it. An alternate package named espeak is way more popular. All I know is that espeak is way, way more responsive than flite. But I can't recommend espeak over festival because I've never used festival.

Ok Espeak it is then.
If I can get help on it then great!

You do have to get your kernel problem fixed first though.

Yes.

Ok I installed the kernel you said.
And uname -r says
it is the speakup one 2.6.18-4.

Now fololow the directions here:
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/#sftsynth

Originally, I didn't know what flavor of linux you were using. Since you are using debian, the above instructions should work.