Re: trying to get started

Yes, any book with a title like "exploring Unix" is a good starters book. Linux is Unix that got onto lots more hardware from a commands perspective and for now commands perspective is what you need to get your hands around. From an architecture standpoint Linux and Unix do have differences but you only learn those as you get advanced enough to go exploring around in the kernel. A kernel on Linux is the Dos and Windows equivalent to command.com. Recording for the blind have a few of these "Exploring Unix" books each a bit different than the others. If you were to read through each you'd have a more rounded knowledge of the subject but one should do for your purposes.