Re: Audio conversion

Hello,

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Geoff Shang wrote:

Unfortunately the LAME encoder doesn't read FLAC files natively, though there's probably a good argument for such support. But you could do the following:

flac -dc <flacfile> |lame <lameopts> - <mp3file>

This assumes you have lame and flac installed.

The -d for flac tells flac to decode, and the -c tells it to write to standard output.

I tried that but it didn't work. For some reason it didn't produce anything. When I used flac -d only and piped it to Lame, I still ended up with a wave file. I ended up doing flac -d <flacfile> for each track and then ran Autolame which converted the lot from wave to mp3.

Thanks for putting me on the right track. I'd never heard about flac.

Bertil