Ripping-And-Pausing Streams?

Well, I wanted to rip a TV stream from ABC-News. So when I rip with mplayer -dumpstream or -dumpaudio, sometimes I use the -playlist option. Anyway, I guess in the ripping process, m player doesn't handle re-directs, because all I get is some kind of .gif short file. The stream plays fine live, but just won't seem to rip. Last year I tried ripping the Presidents State of the Union address, but all I got from a particular site was a 30-second advertisement. When playing that stream, it would switch to the feed. Are their switches in m player to make it handle broadcasts like these. So right now, I am trying arecord but so far its not telling me where or what its saving this .wav file under. And I don't think tr player will handle .asx files, otherwise I would have used grabit for this
Thanks in advance
Hart