Re: fedora vs. Debian?

Greetings,

I switched to Debian last year, after having used Fedora for a couple of years. The reason I switched over was that I had problems installing FC5. When I installed Debian, I used GRML and the script from the BLINDIA project. It worked very well. Next time when I changed to Etch, I used the ordinary installer which also worked very well with braille.

As far as Debian is concerned, I like the way you update and upgrade so easily. It's even easy to upgrade to the next distribution.

Both Fedora and Debian have problems with my Hardware. They both choose the wrong driver for my network card. In Fedora it's easy, just change the alias eth0 in modprobe.conf. I haven't found an equally easy way of doing it in Debian yet. I also have two soundcards installed and both distros choose the wrong one (which doesn't work) most of the time.

If you use Fedora, you'll find it easier to keep up to date with Orca and Firefox and other GUI related programs thanks to the work being done by private individuals. The same goes for Ubuntu. With Debian you have to do this work yourself, which isn't really a big deal.

I tried the Edgy live CD but I never managed to get Gnome to work even though I fiddled around with it quite a bit.

All in all, I think I'll stay with Debian and just try to keep up with the Gnome upgrades.

Bertil Smark Nilsson