Re: any gentoo users out there?

On 10/13/06, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If so, did you manage to get gnopernicus working on gentoo?  I tried it
with a networkless advanced install so I could enable speakup but since
gnopernicus and dependencies were not on the livecd, I tried doing an
emerge gnopernicus after the install.  Since hal cannot find a useable
kernel configuration file it can't calculate the linux version and will
not finish emerging.  The hal package for kernel 2.6.17 is a dependency of
gnopernicus.
Is the symlink /usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/linux-2.6.17-* setup correctly?

I did the networkless install to help avoid as many security
problems as not having your computer open to the internet for several
ahours and automated cracking software would provide.
The passwords are automatically scrambled and ssh is off by default on
the livecds. Perhaps you are also behind NAT. Anyhow, unless you use a
rotten rsync server (I believe one or two have at one time or another
been cracked into) in combination with a rotten mirror, or reset the
root password to something really weak and run sshd, the networked
install should be pretty safe.