Displaying Video in a Text Console?

Hi All: Just got a newer monitor which is working better in linux. I downloaded some boxing from the 60s to show my Dad yesterday. I play these .avis with mplayer. Well, my Dad just saw numbers-and-letters, along with shadows of the Boxers. I suppose the numbers are the progress which mplayer is sending to Speakup. My question is, is their a way in a straight commandline console to watch one of these files, without starting x or booting in windows xp?
Thanks so much in advance
Hart