making distros like Asterisk at Home talk from install up through daily use

Hi there! I want to know how I could make Asterisk at Home run with a speakup-enabled Kernel, especially through the installation and all? I want to use the Asterisk system and Voip and heard this was the easiest way to do it My old machine I want to make into a Linux box has some core of Fedora on its secondary 6.whatever gig drive, and the 30 gig has 98 on that I just want certain files of and that will then be reformatted, and it has my double talk board I used with that distro. Assuming that the Fedora on there is still bootable and I remember the Root password, how would I modify the iso of the Asterisk at Home distro so I could have talking install and then boot into a talking system? I heard this is the easiest way of running such a system because you get the webbased admin tools that are set up for that distro. The last time I tried just replacing the Kernel on an install disk and reburning, I got module error disaster. How do I prevent that this time?