debian console and multimedia

what should be possible to play from the console with debian in terms of multimedia? totem so far as I know still is on the sysstem I'm using and earlier attempts to use m-player failed completely because of a missing avisynth.dll file. This not only failed on a couple streams on the web but also on playing a dvd. I probably had every other codec for mplayer than avisynth.dll but that one killed it. I don't care about the pictures, but do need the sound.