Re: How do imake a new MBR?

Grub is in the MBR, so i guess i'll have to make a new
MBR before i can remove the hard disk with Linux on it,
the question is how do i make a new MBR and do i have to
re-install windblows in order for this to take effect?

While not exactly a Linux question, I'll see what I can do.

You shouldn't need to reinstall Windows to fix your MBR. From within a dos box, you *should* be able to just do

	c:\> fdisk /mbr

(pass the "/mbr" parameter to fdisk). This should tell FDISK to copy the bootloader from the current (Windows) partition to MBR. It will make matters lose your Grub loader, but it sounds like that's exactly what you want.

I'm not sure if this still works in XP (or Win2k for that matter, if you have an NTFS partition), but it's how it used to be done on the Win9x side of things.

Hope this helps,

-tim